12.28.2007

Super Cup Day 1 (12.28.07)

Day one finshed with a happy end for me. But let me start from the beginning...

It was me versus Fu Che Wei from Taiwan to start off the tournament as the first match of the day. Unfortunately it was all Fu and not me to correct my statement. I had my chance in the first rack after breaking the balls. I made a tricky combination but got hooked at the same time. I kicked, but left him a shot. 0:1 Next rack he came dry on the break but I missed an easy 5-Ball. 0:2 After that it was all Fu. 0:7 - have a nice day...

My second match of the day was also the last match of day number one against Japanese Hayato Hijikata. Hijikata had lost his first match 6:7, also to Fu Che-Wei so we both needed the win badly.

I started out great by running some racks and achieving a comfortable 5:0 lead. Maybe I didn't focus enough when I played the 3-Ball off the 8-Ball to clear the path for the 7-Ball. My draw came to short for position on the 4-Ball and I ended up losing that rack. The momentum shifted and I saw Hijikata with his powerbreak climbing all the way to the hill 5:6 but then he didn't make a ball on his sledgehammer-break. I ran the rack and finished the game with a 9-Ball on the break. Lucky me...

It's unbelievable how a game can swing from one side to the other. Back and forth...

The winner break race to 7 format is brutal. Especially on those kinda big pocket tables. I saw so many players stringing four and five-packs together today, it's ridiculous.



Afterwards I went to the local poolroom with Marcus and Rodney and I was introduced to a cool (for me) new game. It was Wu Chia Ching, Fu Che-Wei and Lu Hui-Chan playing the following carom-game on a pool table...

There are four balls on the table. The cueball, the yellow 1-Ball, the red 3-Ball and the red-striped 11-Ball.

First you gotta make a carom with the yellow and one of the red balls.
If accomplished you need next a carom with the two red balls.
And then you need to hit all three balls with one shot.
Only three good shots in a row would bring one point !

Let me give you an easy example how you could score (use the page arrow to see all 3 pages)...



Here some more of my Taiwanese pool images...



It's late already. Gotta go to sleep. Next opponents for me later today are Jeff De Luna and Wu Chia Ching. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thorsten, thanks for introducing us in turn to Taiwanese carom game. Could you post the initial position of the balls? And what the races normally are?
Vahmurka